Sunday, January 27, 2008

Jimminy Cricket chirps in with his view.

Even though I am fairly new to Saddlebred Rescue I could not help but tell you about my day, well actually my week end. Saturday a new lady came to get me take me to the big barn. I have been there once before when I was being checked into the Saddlebred Rescue evaluation program, you know height, color, markings, age, and then the riding test. I am sure I passed as I was given a lot of treats and everyone kept calling me a star. Anyway I was back in the barn and this time I payed more attention to the other horse in the barn and I got to say they are awesome, their hair is so shiny and sleek that I felt a little sad that I did not look the good. My hair was not shiny and it poofed out and it has been a long time since I was really brushed a lot. The Lady who's name I think is Kate started grooming me and I felt like I was in a spa. I had a few itchy spots and when I arched my neck so she could rub that area she seemed to know what I liked and kept scratching in that area. The best part was she kept talking softly to me and even though I did not know what she said, I KNOW that she liked me as she was kind to me.

The lady groomed me for a long time and just after she saddled me up something on her made a ringing noise and she stopped talking to me and started talking into the ringy thing. After a while she took the saddle off and they put my blanket on and took me back to the other stalls. The other rescue horses were looking at me and I was so proud at how good I looked, I am sure some of the other horses were jealous.

Today it happened again they took me to the big barn and started grooming me, I saw the lady Kate from yesterday and when she saw me she gave me a treat. I think she likes me. This time I was tacked up and I was led into the indoor arena where a small girl was ready to get on me. My mind was spinning trying to remember everything I knew about being ridden. I heard them call the girl Theresa and tell her I was nice to ride so just have fun. Can you believe that! Theresa was easy to carry around and she kind of did some different things on me, my reins got loose and her arms went round and round. At first I was afraid she was falling off and I worried that I would fail and I would never find a home. But she did not fall and I think she did that on purpose, I do not know why but I am sure it was not because she was falling off.

I remembered everything but I almost for got how to canter so I messed up a little but I did finally get it, and you know what? her arms went round and round again. This time I only watched her and did not worry and everyone seemed to think I was wonderful. It is so nice to know you are good and I try so hard to do the right thing. When we stopped Theresa did the strangest thing, she stood up on me. Can you believe it? I just froze so I would not make her fall and after she did that she got off the wrong side of me and then she went under my belly, OMG I thought she was crazy but I again stood so still I did not even breath as I did not want to hurt her. After she was finished she hugged and kissed my nose and I knew I was a star.

This weekend was one of my best two days ever, I hope I can find a forever home just like Saddlebred Rescue only I would like to have more attention everyday.

3 comments:

Mark said...

Like your story. Reading the story seemed like I was in your barn this weekend. Keep writing!!

Julie said...

We love this story, especially the "then she started talking to the ringy thing..."

Anonymous said...

Love it. Looking forward to hearing more!